Thursday, August 13, 2009

Fire on Earth


I was reading this morning and came across a passage that has always bothered me. I don't understand everything that is going on so I would read it and just keep going. Today I decided to sit with it a little longer hope to find so new insight. The passage is at the top of page 41. "I have come to bring fire..." paragraph. What really bothered me was that Jesus, the Prince of Peace said that He did not come to bring peace but division and that families will be divided against each other. This seems at odds with other things that Jesus has said before. I did a little research and found and great article on it. It was helpful for me in processing so I thought it might be helpful for others. Here is the link if you would like to read it http://www.theocentric.com/spirituality/suffering/set_the_world_on_fire.html.

2 comments:

Rob Yackley said...

Yeah, that's a tough one. It helps me when I remember that Jesus was a revolutionary. Most revolutionaries proclaim an eventual peace, but it's a peace that comes on the other side of liberation, and the process of liberation is anything but peaceful. I think Jesus was waking his audience up to the reality that following him--pursuing peace--would be inherently costly.

Christiana said...

Thanks, Derek and Rob! These have been great thoughts as I've been reading this week's Gospel pages. I've been focusing on what Jesus, as the revolutionary, did to proclaim a new Kingdom. I've also been asking myself, what is Jesus inviting me into as a follower of his revolutionary way? And where are specific glimpses of that invitation for me in this neighborhood and city? A pursuit of peace does mean coming against (fighting) sources of evil and injustice. I wonder if part of the "division" that Jesus is talking about has to do even with "religious" people.... that they'll (we'll) be divided because some will understand Jesus' call to seek peace and justice and others won't. And those who won't may even critisize (or try and kill!) those who do.....OK, maybe I'm getting to harsh. Just thinking via commenting.... :)